Funding and resource flows in the care system
This theme analyses the arrangements for raising funds and for distributing them across services and individuals to ensure that H&SC needs of the population are met equitably and efficiently. Our aims are to assess:
- how effective alternative policies, structure etc. are in producing desired outcomes
- how efficiently resources can be used to achieve outcomes (comparing costs and benefits)
- how equitable policies are by looking at how they affect different groups in society, including by need, ethnicity, age, gender, and socio-economic status
Our analyses will therefore quantify the impact on the costs and outcomes of the health and social care system of alternative:
- care service configurations
- social care funding arrangements
- health and social care financial mechanisms.
These analyses will assist government in planning the reconfiguration of service models and in the optimisation of the use of available resources, including the specification of alternative strategies for meeting particular expenditure constraints.
Summary of current projects